- How do you decide whether or not to obey a rule? What makes a rule "unbreakable"?
- What is the most recent time you have chosen to break a rule? Was it a good or bad decision?
- What is the difference between "rules" and "traditions"? How do you decide whether or not to obey a tradition?
- Read Luke 14:1-6.
- Give an example of a rule or tradition you've observed that doesn't value people.
- How might a person's value of tradition or rules keep them from leaving the "bubble" of the church?
- What situations will you find yourself in this week which will give you the opportunity to value people over rules or traditions?
- Read Luke 14:7-11. What do you think is Jesus point in this passage?
- We don't typically have "seats of honor" at parties these days. What are other ways someone might show more honor to one person than another?
- How is James 2:1-5 similar to this passage?
- Why might someone think that showing favoritism to others is a way to "get ahead" in life?
- Why might someone's value of self keep them from getting out of the "bubble" of the church?
- Talk about a time when you felt that someone was valuing you more than they valued their own status. How can you show others that you value them more than you value yourself?
- What can you do this week to show people outside your "bubble" that you value them?
Thursday, March 19, 2009
Getting Out Of The Bubble (Luke 14)
The following questions are based on Luke 14:1-11. Your group may not be able to get through all the questions listed, but try to use these ones to tailor your meeting time to the needs of your group.