This discussion is designed to introduce the "basics" series. It is an overview of the Gospel which will be unpacked over the next ten weeks.
The following questions can be used in one of two ways:
The first option is to have everyone in the group choose two or three questions to answer. Take turn answering the questions and discussing the answers until you've answered all the questions. They do not necessarily need to be answered in order.
The second option is to give the questions to group members a week ahead of time and have them answer all the questions and come back prepared to discuss.
The group leader should take time prior to the discussion to think through each of the questions, and how he/she will want to direct the discussion. A link to a handout is available at the bottom of the questions.
- What is the gospel?
- What are the essential elements of the gospel?
- What parts of the gospel are “flexible”?
- What is salvation?
- From what are we saved?
- How are we saved?
- Who can and cannot be saved?
- What was the most important element of Jesus’ life?
- Why does Jesus’ death matter?
- What is the significance of Jesus’ resurrection?
- What was Jesus’ most important teaching?
- What is sin?
- Where does sin come from?
- Are people born sinners? Explain your answer.
- What makes something a sin?
- Why do people sin?
- What is the remedy for sin?
- In what do we need to believe?
- What is “belief”?
- How do we begin believing in something?
- How do we measure true belief?
- What question do you want answered?