Together read Exodus 20:1-17.
Which of the ten is the easiest to obey? Which of the ten is the most difficult?
As a group (or you can assign this to different individuals) go through each of the ten commandments and discuss the following:
- What would cause someone to not obey this command?
- What is a modern day example of how someone might break this command?
- How would you rewrite this command in a positive way? (3 and 4 are already positive, so you can just rewrite them in your own words)
2. You must not make any idols or bow down to them.
3. You must not misuse the name of God.
4. Remember to keep the Sabbath holy.
5. Honor your father and mother.
6. You must not commit murder.
7. You must not commit adultery.
8. You must not steal.
9. You must not testify falsely against your neighbor.
10. You must not covet anything that belongs to your neighbor.
What new thoughts do you have about the ten commandments after this discussion?
Which commands are you going to focus on this week? How can this group pray for you?