- Based on what you read in 2:1-4, how would you define favoritism?
- Besides rich people, what are some other types of people toward whom favoritism might be shown?
- Why would people show favoritism toward these people?
- Can you think of times in your life when you've shown this type of favoritism?
- What things can you do to avoid showing unjust favoritism?
- According to 2:5, what are the benefits of being poor? What do you think these things mean?
- Compare this passage to Matthew 5:3. How are they similar?
- Does this mean we should favor the poor and dishonor the rich? Why or why not?
- According to 2:9, how does God feel about favoritism?
- What does it mean to "show mercy."
- What can you do today to show mercy instead of judgment?
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Favoritism (James 2)
Read James 2:1-13. Use this passage as your guide while answering the following questions: